A recurring theme in our Summer 2013 edition has been the use of various shades of blue in modern summer home and beach house design. From Ren Miller, editor-in-chief of Design New Jersey magazine, to the expert staff at Peter Salerno Inc., to interior designers everywhere, blue seems to be the “it” color for vacation homes – especially summer kitchens.
With this ‘blue’ theme in mind, we present a sweet treat courtesy of the fine folks at Delish: Blueberry Jamboree, created by the expert bakers at Magnolia Bakery.
Whether you’re looking for a sweet treat to please your loved ones and guests, or just a vibrant slice of dessert for yourself, this recipe is sure to be a hit in your newly redesigned summer kitchen. The ingredients are easy to find, the recipe is simple, and you’ll look like a famous dessert chef in no time!
(For more about the world-renowned Magnolia Bakery, its delicious menu and locations, please visit their website: Magnolia Bakery.)
Magnolia Bakery’s Blueberry Jamboree: Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup(s) fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup(s) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) water
- 2 cup(s) fresh blueberries
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/1 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cup(s) flour
- 1 cup(s) toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1 pound(s) cream cheese, room temperature, cut into chunks
- 2 cup(s) sifted confectioners’ sugar
Magnolia Bakery’s Blueberry Jamboree: Recipe
- Prepare blueberry topping: In a large pot combine 1 1/2 cups blueberries and both sugars.
- Place on stove on medium-high heat and stir constantly. Stir until sugar is combined and blueberries start to pop and come to a boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Add cornstarch/water mixture to the pot and stir until mixture becomes thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in remaining blueberries, combining gently. Add in the lemon zest and continue to combine gently and fully.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the crust: Melt butter and combine with flour and pecans.
- Butter a 9″ x 13″ rectangular glass dish and press crust into it. Bake at 325°F for about 15 minutes or until it just starts to lightly brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the filling and assemble: Whip heavy cream and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a mixer bowl, beat together cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture until combined and then spread onto cooled crust.
- Top with a thin layer of blueberry topping, about 4 cups.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
For more great summer recipes, visit Delish! And as always, for more information about creating your perfect beach house and/or summer kitchen, visit us online: Peter Salerno Inc.