Our Favorite Recipe for Italian Hot Chocolate [Epicurious]
This is Peter Salerno Inc.’s Favorite New Italian Hot Chocolate
Epicurious has done it again. It seems to be a recurring trend that every recipe Peter Salerno’s staff finds on Epicurious is out of this world, but with this fabulous recipe for Italian Hot Chocolate, they have outdone themselves again.
“Nun’s Revenge” Italian Hot Chocolate is a recipe penned for Epicurious by Fred Thompson, and its sensual and unique ingredients create an absolutely mesmerizing experience for the taste buds. Even the most discerning Italian home chef (including Peter Salerno himself) will find this recipe to be one of the finest, simplest Italian Hot Chocolates available.
The secret? Thompson’s Epicurious recipe includes fine bittersweet chocolate, orange zest, and arrowroot for thickening. Be sure to follow the instructions closely and serve immediately for the best tasting experience possible.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Epicurious: “Nun’s Revenge” Italian Hot Chocolate Recipe by Fred Thompson
Serves 2 in cappuccino cups or 4 in espresso cups
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 70 percent cacao), chopped
- 2 to 4 strips orange zest for garnish
1. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the half-and-half with the arrowroot, whisking until smooth.
2. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of half-and-half in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. When the half-and-half begins to bubble around the edges, whisk in the sugar. Whisk in the arrowroot mixture until the half-and-half thickens slightly, usually less than a minute.
3. Remove from the heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
4. Pour into cups, top each with a piece of orange zest, and serve immediately.
The original article on Epicurious was reprinted with permission from Hot Chocolate: 50 Heavenly Cups of Comfort by Fred Thompson, © September 2006 Harvard Common Press.